Dr George Van Doorn
Lecturer in Psychological Studies
|Phone:||+61 3 990 26746 or +61 3 512 26746|
|Fax:||+61 3 990 26359 or +61 3 512 26359|
|Office:||2S 212, Gippsland Campus|
George Van Doorn is a lecturer and an Early Career Researcher (ECR) in the Bionics and Cognitive Science Centre at Monash Gippsland. He has several publications in sensory integration, temperature perception, and active and passive touch. Although he is an ECR, George is well respected domestically and internationally thanks to several peer-reviewed publications, an emerging record of successful competitive grant applications, and several radio and print media interviews. George has developed collaborative links with both international (i.e., Italian Institute of Technology) and domestic (i.e., Monash Medical Centre) colleagues to integrate the psychophysical study of touch with simulated environments.
George currently teaches the following units:
- PSS1712: Behaviour across the lifespan
- PSS3717: Psychology at work
- PSS3718: Forensic psychology
- PSS3719: Parapsychology
- PSS3720: People and other animals: Studying the relationship between humans and other species
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Van Doorn, G.H., Richardson, B.L., Wuillemin, D.B., & Symmons, M.A. (2010). Visual and haptic influence on perception of stimulus size. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics, 72(3), 813-822.
- Van Doorn, G.H., Richardson, B.L., Symmons, M.A., & Wells, J. (2009). Adding thermal information to multisensory input in simulated environments. International Journal of Intelligent Defence Support Systems, 2(4), 350-362.
- Van Doorn, G.H., Richardson, B.L., Wuillemin, D.B., & Symmons, M.A. (2006). Active and passive movements give rise to different judgements of coldness. Perception, 35(4), 573-573.
- Van Doorn, G.H., Richardson, B.L., Wuillemin, D.B., & Symmons, M.A. (2005). Modification of magnitude estimations in thermotactile perception during self- and externally-generated movements. Perception, 34(2), 231-236.
Refereed, published proceedings
- Richardson, B.L., & Van Doorn, G.H. (2010). Haptics can “lend a hand” to a bionic eye. Proceedings of EuroHaptics 2010
- Van Doorn, G.H., Symmons, M.A., & Richardson, B.L. (2009). The importance of temperature information in virtual training environments. Proceedings of Simulation, Concepts, Capability and Technology Conference
- Symmons, M.A., Rose, G., & Van Doorn, G.H. (2008). The effectiveness of an ecodrive course for heavy vehicle drivers. Proceedings of Australasian Road Safety Research, Policing and Education Conference
- Wuillemin, D.B., Van Doorn, G.H., Richardson, B.L. & Symmons, M.A. (2005). Haptic and visual size judgements in virtual and real environments. Proceedings of World Haptics Conference, 86-89, IEEE Computer Society
- Symmons, M.A., Richardson, B.L., Wuillemin, D.B., & Van Doorn, G.H. (2005). Active versus passive touch in three dimensions. Proceedings of World Haptics Conference, 108-113, IEEE Computer Society.
- Van Doorn, G.H., & Wuillemin, D.B. (2009, July). Playing dead: The depiction and mistreatment of animals in video games. Minding Animals, Newcastle
- Symmons, M.A., Richardson, B.L., Wuillemin, D.B., & Van Doorn, G.H. (2007, March). Active vs. passive touch: The state of play & the future. World Haptics Conference, Tsukuba.
- Symmons, M.A., Richardson, B.L., Wuillemin, D.B., & Van Doorn, G.H. (2005, March). Kinaesthetic and cutaneous contributions to raised-line stimulus interpretation. World Haptics Conference, Pisa
- Richardson, B.L., Symmons, M.A., Wuillemin, D.B., & Van Doorn, G.H. (2005, March). Looking through a fingertip. World Haptics Conference, Pisa.
Symmons, M.A., Rose, G., & Van Doorn, G.H. (2009, June). Ecodrive as a road safety tool for Australian conditions. Report prepared for the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.
Expert commentary in the media
- Trounson, A. (2009, October 14). Joining DoTS from dropout to don. The Australian
- Van Doorn, G.H., & Prendergast, C. (2009, May 29). Monash virtual temperature discovery. The Latrobe Valley Express
- Van Doorn, G.H., & Prendergast, C. (2008, November 6). High school drop-out’s academic success. The Latrobe Valley Express
- Mascall, S. (2004, August 30). You’re only as cold as you feel. The Age
- Schulz, P. (2009, September 23). The Black Arts Show. Gippsland FM
- Callinan, G. (2009, June 4). Morning show. ABC Gippsland
- Callinan, G. (2008, October 28). Morning show. ABC Gippsland
- Lancaster, K. (2004, August 5). Brainwave monitor. Win News
- Fernanda, S. (2003, September 5). Virtual view. Win News.
- O’Loughlin, S., Van Doorn, G.H., & Prendergast, C. (2009, July 15). Teeing off for science. Monash Memo
- O’Loughlin, S. (2009, May 27). Temperature in a virtual world. Monash Memo
- O’Loughlin, S. (2008, November 5). 60 seconds with…George Van Doorn. Monash Memo
George is a recognised supervisor of post-graduate research students