Guidelines for 2013 Unit Guides
Unit Guides are MANDATORY for all offered units* and the Faculty requires all Unit Coordinators to submit their completed unit guides by Monday of the week prior to the start of semester.
- Semester One: 25 February
- Winter Semester: 10 June
- Term 3: 24 June
- Semester Two: 22 July
- Summer Semester A: tbc
- Summer Semester B: tbc
Submitting your Unit Guide
Normally, Unit Guides are to be submitted using the online Unit Guide Editor.
Unit Guides submitted using the online editor will be published to students on the Arts Unit Guides webpage in Orientation week. NB: students must have a Monash authcate to access the webpage; all students receive an authcate when they first enrol with Monash.
Language units and other units not using the online editor
- Use the Unit Guide Template provided to you by your local Teaching Support team member
(SAMSS, Malaysia and South Africa Unit Coordinators should consult their local administrative staff member).
The University’s template can also be downloaded from http://opvclt.monash.edu.au/index.html, but it will not be pre-populated with previous content or Arts-specific information; font will also need to be changed to Arial.
- Complete all sections and save as a Word document being careful to preserve format and layout
(file name should be the unit code (with lower case prefix) and "-guide" appended - e.g., "ats1286-guide.doc")
- Forward to Arts Webupdates firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line to state year, relevant semester and unit guide(s) you are submitting. For example, "2013 Semester One Unit Guide for ATS1286" (SAMSS, Malaysia and South Africa Unit Coordinators should publish according to their School’s stated procedures).
Unit Guides submitted to Arts Webupdates email@example.com will be published to students on the Arts Unit Guides webpage in Orientation week. NB: students must have a Monash authcate to access the webpage; all students receive an authcate when they first enrol with Monash.
If your unit is listed as offered/not offered for the upcoming semester and needs to be changed, please follow the advice for Cancellation or Addition of a Published Unit
*Unit guides are not compulsory for thesis units if full details are provided to students in another form (e.g., Honours guide). Please note that where thesis extends over 2 semesters, requirements that must be completed by the end of semester 1 in order to achieve SFR grade must be clear.
Unit guides are required for research project units.
Note the following:
- The online unit guide template automatically populates each draft unit guide with Handbook information. This information can not be changed via the Unit Guide Editor. If it requires updating a unit amendment will need to be submitted - see the Arts Executive Services webpage for information on timelines, policies and procedures.
- Unit codes are normally APG (Postgraduate or Honours ), ATS (Undergraduate and Honours) or APR (Postgraduate Research); South Africa units are coded AZA.
- Unit guides must be written in English (bi-lingual is acceptable)
- A single unit guide must be submitted for units offered on multiple campuses and using different teaching modes.
- One unit guide template can be used for dual listed units ie. ATS2676/3676 however, you must submit TWO documents, using the correct code for each year level.
How to edit and submit your unit guide:
The following links provide information and advice on what to cover in each section of the Unit Guide template.
- Section 1 – Cover Page
- Section 2 – Academic Overview
- Section 3 – Unit Schedule
- Section 4 – Assessment Requirements
- Section 5 – Other Information