Offices for Arts Research Students
Menzies Postgraduate Centre
The Menzies Postgraduate Centre is located opposite the Campus Centre in the Menzies Building (building 11) on the Clayton Campus. There are a number of shared offices available for Monash students undertaking higher degree research studies within the Arts Faculty.
Facilities and Services Available to Students
In the Menzies Postgraduate Centre, all students are provided with a desk, chair and a lockable drawer unit. In addition, students have access to free printing and photocopying. In the smaller shared offices, there are phones which can be used to make local calls, however in the larger offices; phones can be used only to make internal calls.
There is a lounge and kitchen located on level 8 which provides students with a water dispenser, microwave, fridge and instant hot water facility.
Eligibility and Priority
Students eligible to apply for office space in the Menzies Postgraduate Centre are those who are enrolled Monash Arts research postgraduate students (Doctoral and Masters by research).
The following factors are taken into consideration in the decision to allocate office space:
- The individual's stage of candidature (i.e. those in the final stages of their candidature may be given priority in some circumstances)
- Frequency of use - students who anticipate using office space more regularly are given precedence.
- A student's need for space (i.e. unsuitable work space available to a student elsewhere)
- A student's satisfactory progress on their thesis.
Term of Allocation
Office space will be available to the student until the submission of their thesis.
Current Monash University policy is that once a student submits their thesis for examination they are no longer an enrolled student of the University. Therefore, students who have submitted their thesis for examination, students whose candidature has lapsed, students who have been appointed as a Junior Honorary Research Associate and persons in receipt of a Postgraduate Publication Award shall not be automatically eligible for an office, as they are not considered to be currently enrolled Monash University research postgraduate students.
Absences: where a student intermits, or undertakes study away from the university, for more than 28 days, the student must vacate the office and reapply on their return. The same application procedures apply.
Conditions of Occupancy
The following conditions of occupancy apply to all office applicants:
- In view of the demand for office space within the Centre, office occupants are expected to make full and proper use of the facilities available to them. If it is brought to the attention of the Postgraduate Centre Supervisor that the office is not being utilised then the occupant may be asked to vacate.
- Office occupants are responsible for informing the Centre Supervisor when they no longer require use of their allocated space or when they take study away/intermission for longer than 28 days.
- An office occupant may be asked to vacate if the Associate Dean and the Centre Supervisor considers that the occupant does not have sufficient reasons for remaining in the office or behaves in such a way deemed as being distracting and/or offensive to other centre users.
- No office occupant may allow any other student not allocated a place in the Menzies Research Graduate Centre to use the facilities be they in the office or the kitchen. Any student found doing so may be asked to leave.
How to Apply
- In order to be considered for office space in the Menzies Postgraduate Centre, students must submit an application form. The application form should then be sent to the Graduate Research Administrator in the relevant School for endorsement.
- Students will be contacted by the Resources Officer regarding space availability and the relevant process.
- If no space is available upon application, students will be placed on a waiting list and be allocated into a space when it becomes available.
- Further information on the The Arts Graduate Research Centre Student Allocation Policy can be viewed here.
If you require any further information, please contact:
Menzies Building, Room W703a
Phone: 03 990 52148
Schools and Centres
Your School may offer office or other student space - please check with your Graduate Research Administrator.
Menzies Research Graduate Centre
Postgraduate students enrolled at the Clayton campus can apply for shared office space in the Monash Research Graduate Centre (MRGS link)
The Monash Postgraduate Association (MPA link) has produced a Guide to Postgraduate Facilities and Services - please contact them for further information.